Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who contribute their thoughts to this blog as well as interacting with me at other places. Cyberkitten is foremost in my mind, but I appreciate each of more than you know. However, I've come to understand that I have dedicated too much of my limited resources to blogging and that the good I gain is at the expense of greater goods I'm missing, perhaps even avoiding. I may not have come to this realization without the impetus you all provided with your comments and the thought required to respond to them. Thanks.

I've just completed a flurry of responses here and there, and it convinced me beyond all doubt how easily blogging can eat up my time and dominate my thoughts. I can't allow this. Real life calls. People need help and I need to help them.

I may continue to monitor a few of my favorite places and I'll probably post here now and then, but my goal is to invest more of my time and energies where there is real risk and real reward.

I'll see you when I see you and miss you when I don't.

With thanksgiving,
Laughing Boy

3 comments:

CyberKitten said...

I can certainly understand what you mean. Blogging will easily take up as much time as you are willing to give it - and then some.

Although we don't agree on much (if anything actually) I have normally found our exchanges informative and thought provoking. It's always good to bounce ideas off people who have radically different world views.

Thank you for frequenting my Blog and for taking me to task on others. I understand your need to live more of your life off-line and look forward to crossing swords with you in the Bloggosphere at some point in the future.

Laughing Boy said...

Thanks, CK. I need to find a balance...being a Libra :-).

I think we actually have a lot in common. I think we share a desire for a good disagreement. I think we share a desire for a little knowledge about a wide range of ideas. Leaving aside the topics of religion and naturalism we are probably are quite similar. But if we talked about other topics we'd be neglecting our primary driving force, a good disagreement.

Lastly, I think that if our meeting place were someplace other than the highly-combative blogosphere we could be quite chummy. But it is, so crossing swords is our lot.

Take care.

CyberKitten said...

laughing boy said: Thanks, CK. I need to find a balance...being a Libra :-).

...and I need to win.. being an Aries [rotflmao]

laughing boy said: I think we actually have a lot in common. I think we share a desire for a good disagreement. I think we share a desire for a little knowledge about a wide range of ideas.

Quite probably true. I do like a good debate on just about anything..

laughing boy said: Leaving aside the topics of religion and naturalism we are probably are quite similar. But if we talked about other topics we'd be neglecting our primary driving force, a good disagreement.

It might actually surprise you that I'm not all that interested in religion. It's something I've investigated in the past, found wanting (to say the least) and moved on from. Normally if I'm interested in (or confused by) something I read about it until I understand things a bit better. You'll have noticed - possibly - that since I started my Blog I've hardly read anything directly about religion and very little indirectly about it either. I have far more interesting things to investigate.

My interest in religion is part of my wider interest in 'magical' thinking so I've never had much time for what God did what to whom when sort of thing. I am interested in *why* people believe certain things though and how they come to what I view as their sometimes wrong conclusions.

I do post on several other topics apart from religion but they tend to generate few (if any) comments. But I guess that religion is a large part of many peoples lives so rather inevitably they want to talk about it.

If I do hit on a subject we can talk about without the clash of steel I shall be more than happy to do so.